Search This Blog

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Start Dividing your Hosta,Daylilies Etc Etc Etc.

     If you are familiar with your Perennials,then you know what an overcrowded crown looks like. This is when its time for some maintenance. That is a word I like to use a lot due to the fact that gardening is "work" but an extremely rewarding form of one, don't forget.
     I tend to divide anything that will tolerate it.  I have been doing it for the past two weeks, if it shows its head through ground, I start to dig.  I usually just divide the clump by hand when all possible.  Just a preference I have for this process, gentler way of doing it.

Just divided Sedums today and it was anything but gentle.  Basically drove a shovel through the crown of plant and then transplanted separate parts.  Hosta/Lily of the Valley can be done in same way.

 

  

No comments: