Search This Blog

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Leave the Leaves

My Golden Rule.

In the Fall. "do not rake or blow leaves"

I leave them on the ground in the beds. I feel that they act as winter insulation for Seeds, Perennials and Half Hardy Annuals.  When spring time comes along, usually in March where I live I use a back pack blower to rid my beds of these winter blankets and collect the leaves into a piles.
You can even make some sort of make shift large container or area where they can decompose and used for topsoil or compost after a year or two.

Places I've known
Things that I'm growing
Don't taste the same without you
I got my self in
The worst mess I've been
And I find myself starving' without you 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that Zinnia that is 1/2 and 1/2! I've never had one like that. We got a frost last Friday night which killed off my zinnias...and my dahlias even though I covered them. Saved lots of 4 o'clock seeds, we loved them! Thanks for passing them along. Bernie