Search This Blog

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Soaking Seeds

     Most hard shell plant seeds need some sort of soaking in water at least overnight to make sure germination is a success.

I have recently been working with canna lily seeds, morning glory seeds, and Four o'clock s.
The canna seeds I have been attempting to germinate need some help.  I have been scraping them using a cheese grater.  I do this while holding the seed with pliers to expose the inner white layer. 

  I soaked the canna lily seeds for about a day or two.  I also throw into the same water some morning glory and 4 o'clock s seeds not nicked but you can take a sharp knife and nick them if you want which I find to work just as well.  I have found sometimes it doesn't hurt or help either way.
 I even just started some castor bean seeds too as well.  I soaked them for a day in a different water container due to its extreme toxicity.

Here is a peat pot with my newly germinated canna lily seeds.



My little greenhouse getting overloaded with seed trays and pots of various seedlings.

 

 Once again I have a big surplus of the three seeds mentioned in start of this post. 
The below picture is of the canna lily being discussed.








 

No comments: