Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Spirea Cuttings

     I read somewhere that after trimming summer blooming spirea, mainly the summer blooming varieties like 'Anthony Waterer' , 'Neon Flash' and any other similar variety, those trimmings can be easily propagated.  I actually did this with Neon Flash and I was amazed. I don't have any pictures to go along with my post but for now I'll just explain how easy it is.
     When the plant starts to sprout leaf buds, that is when its time to prune.  I cut back a few feet and with those clippings I prune them down to about 6 inches in length with a nice set of leaf buds coming out.  Pin down horizontally to a nice rich potting soil with wire and keep moist for a few weeks or so till you notice that the leaf buds are actually growing. A semi-shady spot works well. I suggest doing them in pots.  Mine were in pots mixed in with Canna Lilies to ensure moisture was present and a little shade so soil didn't dry out. 
     After a couple of months they actually flowered and i keep them in pots till Fall planting season and transplanted to permanent spot in my garden.







Took this Picture 5/16/12
Spring cutting was cut and rooted last year.
It was transplanted fall of 2011 where it resides and its foliage is sprouting.



No comments: