Search This Blog

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Seed Starting-- Part 1

     Now is the time to get a head start on getting your seeds germinated.-I had nine seed trays started. and I have found that seeds are finicky.  Certain seeds are fool proof as long as they are prepared correctly.

Just follow instructions on seed packs and you will be fine. Certain seeds need to be nicked or soaked overnight.
In the picture below, the left container is an egg carton that I made into a seed tray by cutting off the top of the egg carton to put the seeds in, and then placed the top flap underneath to use as the tray. I poked holes in bottom of each egg compartment for drainage. This is a very "green" way of reusing empty egg cartons. The  tray on the right is peat containers.

                                                                                                                                                                               





For soil, I have been using a seed starting bagged mix, such as Scott's Miracle Grow Seed Starting Pot Mix.  Its very dry so I pour it into a bucket and add water while I mix it with my hand to get it to a nice moist consistency.  I then fill up the seed trays and pots by hand or scoop it out with a spoon. After following instructions for how deep the seeds need to be, I store trays in any area inside where I can keep an eye on for germination.

*I have found you cannot always go by germination rates on seed packets. I have had seeds germinate in days where it would say it would be a week or two. For example, I just started some Zinnia last Thursday, already coming up.      

No comments: