Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Kerria Japonica


























     This is a very interesting shrub I actually bought through a mail order catalog 8 years ago and all they sent me was a twig. My first reaction was "are you for real?".  Let me tell you that the word "invasive" should have been included with its description but it has become one of my favorite early spring flowering plants.
     Both pictures I have on this post were taken in the last week of April. They are both about 3-4 feet in diameter with plenty of sucker offshoots from around the base. I dig these up and transplant somewhere else to take over. New offshoots will grow quickly so make sure to plant it in a place where it has plenty of room to expand. These plants do well in shade or sun, the top picture is in a shady spot and I find that better. After the flowers have faded I give it a hard prune back to about one third its original size.

If anyone is interested in some offshoots and lives in the Westchester, NY or Norwich, CT area, feel free to comment and leave an address or email where I can arrange a drop off or ship some of  these plants so you can enjoy them as well. 

No comments: