Search This Blog

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Butterfly Weed-Volume 1


     Butterfly weed is low maintenance and does not like an area that is too moist and thrives in full sun. The root system is a deep tap root so once established rarely needs watering or care.




This hands down is the easiest perennial I have found to grow from seed and a great starting plant for novice growers. I start all of my seeds in pots, anywhere from the early spring to late summer/early fall. When starting seeds, place them in a pot and lightly cover them with a starting mix of soil. My seeds have at times flowered on the same year after germination. When you are ready to plant seedlings pick out a spot where you want your butterfly weed to stay for many years to come, as it does not transplant well after a year or two due to its deep tap roots (although I have done it when needed with care.)   

Collect seed pods when barely opened in early fall for next years seed planting.

No comments: