Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Watering Overcrowded Pots

One problem I am finding is that within certain pots the root systems are very crowded, especially with morning glories.  This causes the soil to dry up very fast and the plants start to wilt with the lack of water. You can water them but the water runs right through and the soil really never gets properly soaked. I use a method called the submersion technique.
Basically fill up a water tight container of some sorts with water, which is bigger that the pot itself.
You can stick the pot in the container first and fill up with water to where water level is just below pot with plant in it.

This gives soil a chance to act like a sponge and soak up the water. 
I usually leave it in for about an hour then just lift pot out and your done.

Photo below I have some cosmos in a peach basket which I turned into a planter.


 "Say you'll be alright come tomorrow
But tomorrow might not be here for you"

No comments: