Search This Blog

Monday, April 2, 2012

Dividing perennials-- Part 2

     I divided a few other perennials and I will use their common name instead of the Latin description.

These next three pictures are Globe Thistle. Books and articles recommend not dividing them or digging them up but I have a problem with listening.  Like I mentioned in the past, don't believe everything you read!
You can find these guys around fresh sprouting plants in early spring, like right now.
Here is a group just coming up which I am about to dig up.




I have been digging these guys up every year and their root systems go so deep that I somehow don't get all of it and they come right back up every spring.   



Bees simply love these guys and they are quite a conversation starter.
Above photo is just about in full bloom which I love that iridescent look. 

Below is a picture of Globe Thistle in full bloom.





Monkshood is another perennial (below) that I feel you can divide every year in the right growing conditions.
It has a rhizome-like root system.  I dig up clumps and take each individual tuber and plant 6 inches apart.
If you have enough monkshood in one spot, spacing distance will keep these high growing perennials supportive of themselves.   
*Note that pictures taken are from my own garden unless otherwise noted *



Here are newly divided Monkshood in pots.

 This bottom picture is a clump of Monkshood I dug up trying to figure out what to do with.
If anyone would like a baby let me know.



     I dug up a huge clump of Shasta Daisies, I drove a large shovel down on top and quartered clump.  I did same act with ligularia except just in half. I took four separate new clumps and planted elsewhere because I didn't like original spot where plant was growing.  I was given a package of seeds as a gift and I started them and planted seedlings not expecting them to take.  The plant was in a very sunny and dry spot where it thrived in those conditions and was the twice the size of a head of lettuce in two years-incredible!

    
This picture below is Bee Balm, which is my personal favorite. I just scoop the matted perennial parallel to the ground as deep as I can get and treat it like a piece of grass sod.  Below is what a nice mat of bee balm looks like this time of the year.  Just dig same similar shallow hole where bee balm is to be transplanted.  




Lay mat of bee balm down, push in dirt around plant and water one gallon per square foot.
Same can be done with Garden Phlox, Bishops Weed, Forget-me-nots. 
Other Perennials can work but depends on soil which will determine root growth pattern. Plants in moist soil will be easier to dig up and roots wont be digging deep for a water source.  

'Jacobs Cline'



Just found this great link below for further information.






No comments: