Search This Blog

Monday, April 2, 2012

Canna Lily Growing Tips

If anyone in my immediate area is interested in some red canna lily bulbs let me know.
This amazed me, the following picture is the result of me giving a neighbor of mine 5 pickle size bulbs. 
I usually only grew these in giant containers, and found out that wasn't enough for the rhizomes to spread.
better off growing them in the ground like they did.
I helped dig them up in the fall and could not believe the yield of rhizomes.
I should have took a picture of each cluster. I have hundreds of potato like babies just from those five I gave them and from potted ones I grew myself. 
They are being stored as I type this in a basement in large pots filled with peat moss.
These will not survive most winters so you must treat them like a spring bulb.



























This next to Bee Balm, in my opinion, has to be the number one attractor of hummingbirds.
"Plant them and they will come".  

I have also successfully grown these guys from seed.
If interested in some seeds which I have plenty of as well.  I will ship or drop you off some along with Germination/Planting instructions.  

I just started a small batch of seeds from last years plants and they are germinating already.



No comments: